Suphi's Favorite Guacamole

Monday, June 28, 2010


My good friend Suphi loves my guacamole. This is my basic recipe. I do a few variations, but this is the first and I think, the best. And since she loved it so much and always asked me to make it for her, I thought it only fitting to name it after her too.
Suphi's Favorite Guacamole
3 ripe Haas avocados
1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
1/2-1 jalapeno, minced
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
juice of 1 lime (or 1/2 lemon)
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp dried Mexican oregano
Cut the avocados in half and take out the seeds. Scoop out the flesh into a large bowl. Using a fork, gently mash the avocado until you have nice chunks. Add the onion, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice all at once. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and add the cumin and oregano. Mix and fold the ingredients together, careful not to overmix and puree it (you want this chunkier and not pastey). Serve immediately.
My Notes:
Use Haas avocados - they are the best. They are smaller and the skin turns deep purple when they are perfectly ripe. Although you may be tempted to buy the larger avocados, they do not have as much taste.

No comments: