Maple Cherry Currant Granola

Monday, May 16, 2011

I'm beyond sick of paying ridiculous amounts of money for granola. My last straw came last week when I ordered granola that cost me $8 and gave me just 2 cups. Repeat: $8 for 2 cups of granola. This, in one word, is bullshit. "Never again!" I said to myself as I begrudgedly gobbled up the delicious granola. I've made this before -- "oh big deal, they added fucking flax seed....woa...." and decided I will make my own effing granola from now on. You already have my friend Chandra's excellent recipe that I love. Now you have another, using maple syrup in place of honey. The basic gist is the same, and this is an example of how you can keep swapping out ingredients but using the same technique. Use whatever nuts and dried fruits you have on hand; this by no means is a math problem.

P.S. You'll notice no picture for this posting because certain Escobars ate the whole thing before I could take any. Yes, three certain Escobars, even two little adorable Escobars who often preferred this granola for Second Breakfast over their Kix and Cheerios!



Maple Cherry Currant Granola
4 cups rolled oats
1.5 cups slivered almonds
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp vanilla powder OR 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup dried currants
1/2 cup dried cherries

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine the oats, almonds, and coconut in a large mixing bowl. Add the oil, maple syrup, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla and toss to combine making sure everything is coated with the oil and syrup. Layer out on a very large baking sheet or two smaller ones and bake for 10-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer the granola to another large mixing bowl and immediately add the zest while the granola is still hot. Add the currants and cherries and mix to combine. Let stand to cool then place in air-tight containers for up to 1 month.

No comments: